All posts by hoffarthl

photographer and mom

January 21, 2021 Regular meeting agenda

Hi everyone! The executive hopes that you had a wonderful Christmas and that the New Year has been good to you so far.

I want to thank everyone who contributed to last month’s meeting, whether it was preparing a segment, participating in discussions or entering an image for the theme. It was a wonderful meeting and I hope everyone enjoyed it.

Meeting agenda Thursday Jan 21st:

Theme: Classic (interpret this in any way you want to get your creative juices going ). Please have your image submitted by the end of Sunday evening. PLEASE follow directions listed under ‘info for our members’ then ‘monthly theme’ for deadlines as well as how to format and name your files.

Ed Segment: Mike Byneshewsky will be talking to us about one of his images, from how he envisioned the shot to be, the things he tried or did to end up with the final image, to the final editing. There will be open mike for everyone after his talk for you to ask questions.

Been there segments: Doug Petriw and Denise Nilson

Secret Assignment: (none this month)

Other things to watch for:

Field trip to Nikko Yuko on Saturday Jan 23rd (watch for email)

We are working on some exciting ed segments including a talk from guest speakers.

We are also working on have club members present short photoshop/lightroom segments. These would run on days other than our regular club meetings, which you can watch live, and we are hoping to find a place to host them online afterwards.

That’s all for now! See you next week!

December 17, 2020 meeting agenda

Reminder of our meeting on this Thursday December 17th starting at 7:00 pm. Lets add a little Christmas spirit to the evening and bring along something Christmassy to the meeting. (A favorite Christmas mug, treats, move in front of your Christmas tree, show us a Christmas project, dress up as Santa, etc) .

An email with a zoom link will me mailed out on Tuesday.

On the agenda:
Theme: A Covid moment
Field trip show: Christmas lights
Secret assignment: George Clayton (and maybe John Anvik)
Educational Segment on the ethics of photography processes by Maximo Lange with discussion contributions by Lars Steinke, Brani Srnec and Lorelei Hoffarth
Field trip show: Alexander Wilderness Field trip

That should take us to the end of the meeting! Remember, to pop in anytime during the meeting, just make sure your mike is OFF before you join the meeting so that you don’t disturb what is going on at the time.

Meeting will start at 7:00

December 2020 Update

We held out first executive meeting with the new executive tonight (Nov 26th). First of all I would like to thank all the past executive members who have helped out in keeping the club running over this past tumultuous year. Our current executive now consists of Lorelei Hoffarth (president), Ralph Arnold (past president), Brani Srnec (treasurer), Sigrid Miklos (secretary), and directors Chris Oates, Gerard Toeters, Maximo Lange, Rolf Falschebner and Mike Byneshewsky. It’s great to have a full board of 9 members!

Our current membership is 42 members. We look forward to getting to know all of you!

Our discussions tonight centered around making our zoom meetings as interesting and informative to all members as possible, as well as creating opportunities to show our work. Although the pandemic has made some forms of photography harder, it has also pushed us to explore new outlets and subjects for our creative art.

Our December meeting will be held on Thursday, December 17th, starting at 7:00 pm. It will consist of the theme image discussion, Field trip show(s), a secret assignment by George, (perhaps one by John also), and an educational segment by Maximo.

The theme is ‘a covid moment’ . Please send your images into Doug at theme@lethbridgephotoclub.org by midnight on Sunday Dec. 13th. This will give Doug time to organize the images, and make sure they can be shown with the best quality, etc.

Maximo will be leading the educational segment on the ethics of changing an image in photoshop to be ‘the perfect image’ vs the image that was taken. He has done some research on this, after contemplating whether he should combine two images that he took, to come up with one image that had all the best elements in each image. After Maximo’s presentation, we would like to have a bit of an open discussion. However, with 40 members holding an open mike, it can get a bit confusing. So we would like to find 5 or 6 people who would like to take part in an open conversation with Maximo after his presentation, so that we can get other opinions from club members. If you are not part of this discussion board, then your mike will be muted, so please do let me know if you would like to take part. Just email me at contact@lethbridgephotoclub.org, and I will get you on the list.

Sigrid and Gerard are looking at a couple of options for our next field trip. They felt with the new regulations, a field trip to Nanton wouldn’t be feasible, as we could not car pool or go out for lunch, etc. We will let you know as soon as something is planned.

Next year we are looking forward to Mike Byneshewsky making a short presentation each meeting. Mike is a wonderful landscape photographer, who has sold his work for many years. He will be presenting one image at each meeting, and talk you though what his thought process and vision was in obtaining that image.

We are also exploring options of a new covid friendly photofusion, which will probably be held online. We will keep you updated on this. In the meantime, if you have a show that you have been thinking of doing, now is a good time to start that project!

Finally, if anyone is interested in starting up the casual meetings again, I will be opening up a zoom meeting on December 3rd at 7:00 pm. If you would like to participate, have one or two images ready to show the attendees. You will be sharing your screen, and you can just show an image for interest sake, or lead a discussion on it if you would like some critique on it. You are free to pop in and out of this meeting as you like.

I think that is all for now. Please watch for emails about upcoming field trips and zoom meeting links. As always feel free to contact any of us at contact@lethbridgephotoclub.org if you have any questions or suggestions at all !

Next Photoclub Meeting – October 15th, 2020 – via zoom

Our next few meetings will continue to be via zoom. If you haven’t given it a try yet, you should. Some members actually prefer the meetings this way. Often there is really good interaction (during theme) and the photographer is usually there to comment on their image if they wish. You can even access the meeting on your phone, so sit back on your comfy couch and watch if you like!

The meeting will begin at 7:00 on October 15th. Ralph will send out a link before then. Feel free to join in the meeting at any time, even if you can’t stay for the entire meeting.

The theme for this month is sunrise or sunset. Please submit your images by midnight Monday October 12th. It will be an open critique at the meeting, and we encourage everyone to participate both in submitting an image, and in voicing their critique.

There will be a secret assignment by Peter Jowett and a been there segment by Chris Cook.

Chris will have a field trip show, which will have images from the Crowsnest Pass field trip, and any other trips we make in the meantime.

There will be a night sky photography presentation by Chris Oates, George Clayton and John Anvil.

October is usually our Annual General meeting, but since we need to figure out the logistics of holding the votes, etc online, we will be holding the Annual meeting in November instead. Our bylaws allow us to do this.

Please note that in order to vote for the executive at our annual meeting, you will need to be a paid member of the club. Ralph will be sending out the details again of how to get your membership dues to Brani.

And the Annual General Meeting means that it is time for voting for our new executive. Our bylaws state that anyone can only be president for 2 consecutive years, before taking one year off, so Ralph will be stepping down this fall. If you would like to join the executive in any capacity, please let Ralph know .

I think that is all for now! Our club is still active during covid, and we encourage you to take part in our zoom meetings and field trips. If you have something you would like to share with the club, and would like to write something up, with some images, I can create a post on our website which would be like a blog post. A wonderful way to share what you have been up to! We will do all we can to continue with the conversations we had at Casa, but from a distance …

Crowsnest Pass Field Trip – October 3, 2020

We will be having a field trip to the Crowsnest Pass on Saturday October 3rd. If you would like to join the group, meet at Lundbreck falls around 10 am (or earlier if you wish).

We will leave the falls around 10:30 – 11:00 to check out an abandoned cemetary site.

Lunch will be bring your own, or there are lots of places in town to stop and pick something up if you like.

After Lunch, plans are for Star Creek Falls (far side of Coleman). It is a 2.1 km loop and listed as a moderate hike (according to All Trails)

Chinook lake is also a 5km easy hike around the lake, if we have time or if anyone wants to go there.

With our meetings being Zoom meetings right now, field trips are a great way to get out and visit with the other photoclub members. Hope to see you there!

Start of a new club year 2020-2021

Welcome to everyone to the new club year! I hope that everyone was able to enjoy the summer and that they and their families stayed safe. I’d like to thank Ralph for keeping things going through the summer with some virtual meetings, and for getting our year off to a wonderful, busy start!

To start the year off, our first meeting will be a virtual meeting, and we will see how everyone feels for meetings in the following months.

First meeting will be held on Thursday September 17th starting at 7:00 pm. Ralph has send out a link and instructions for you to log into this meeting. If you have not received it, please contact the club through contact@lethbridgephotoclub.org. If you need help with this, contact us ahead of time, so that we can help you get set up for the meeting.

Agenda for Sept, 17th meeting:
Theme is Open (meaning no theme, or photographer’s choice)
Theme images should be submitted by the evening of Sunday, Sept. 13th. We will be holding an open critique during the meeting, (not ahead of time) but we need time to organize our photos with Doug so that things run smoothly that evening.
The ed segment will be a gadget show and share. So if you have something that you are using in your photography that you would like to share, please have it ready with you and hopefully you can show it on the webcam. You could also possibly video tape (on your phone) a quick demo of how you use it. Just be sure that you are comfortable with how to show your video through zoom . You might want to contact the club so that we can run a test run ahead of time if you have never done this.
Byron Lee will also be doing a been there segment.
Maybe we will have time for a field trip show from the first field trip of the year to Magrath Historial Trail.
It really is great to see everyone, even on a virtual meeting, so please do try and attend. You can attend on your computer, ipad or even just your phone. If you have never done a zoom meeting before, please do contact us ahead of time, so that we can make sure you will be able to log in smoothly the day of the meeting

Light Matters Convention – October 23, 24, and 25th
Light Matters is the annual convention for the Alberta branch of the PPOC (Professional Photographers of Canada). They are moving the convention to an Online platform this year, which makes it easily accessible to others, like us. The photography club is sponsoring a talk with Cole Thompson, a beautiful BW photographer, who contributions to the LensWork magazine are stunning. Because we are sponsoring him, we receive a special members price for the online convention of $49 +gst and eventbrite fees. I believe the total comes to around $55. Please watch your inbox for a special code which you will need when registerint to receive the discount. Your registration gets you into all speakers, all weekend, as well as the round table discussion on Friday evening with some (or all ) of the speakers as well as PPOC members. There are many door prizes which will be given out to people who attend the talks, and one big door prize will be drawn for from those that attend all the speakers talks. The website to find more information and to register is www.lightmatters.ca

Field Trip: September 12, 2020 meet at 10:30 am
Magrath Historical Trail

This is a 5 km easy hike around a nature reserve.  There is a paved pathway all the way around, as well as a gravel path (following another route around part of the reserve).  At the beginning of the pathway, there are a couple of slight inclines, but they are not very steep for very long.  A standard lens will work well, although a zoom lens could be useful as there are deer in the area.  There is a campground close to the trail, which looks like it should bathroom facilities, and there is a port-a-potty close to the Covered Wagon campground.  There are no restaurants or cafes in Magrath, but a couple of their stores (The Rooster and Winks), has premade sandwiches if you want to have a lunch.  When Gerard and I were scouting out the spot, we walked the trail and took pictures of the elevator, and it was about 2 hours to do both.
Follow the main road through Magrath, and you will see a well marked sign.  Meet at the trailhead at 10:30.
Also, we would like to do a poll to see if members would prefer field trips on Saturdays or Sundays (and we would consider alternating these days, depending on response).
Sigrid would also like to get feedback on places our members would like to go.  Old favourites or someplace new that we haven’t been.

I think that is all to report on right now. You might want to get your membership in early if you would like to participate in these upcoming events. You can either etrsf to treasurer@lethbridgephotoclub.org or drop of cash or chq at the main desk of Casa and have them put it in the photoclub mailbox. If you have any questions, please do contact us at contact@lethbridgephotoclub.org and we will get back to you asap.

Hope to ‘see’ you on the 17th! If you are into creating zoom backgrounds, we would love to see everyone get a little bit creative with those!